Sunday, November 1, 2009

Controlling Your Envirnoment

It’s very interesting that the world has manipulated words such as authority, control, dominant, and superior to be conveyed as an aggressive, forceful, overbearing, or someone arrogant. In fact, contrary to popular belief, God’s word tells us to be conquers, and that we have dominion over all things, including your personal environment.

There is power in having the ability to control your environment. It’s actually kinda fun, you should try it. Let me share an example, I was at a popular store and the check out clerk was very rude to the person in front of me, she created a unpleasant work environment for herself. I wasn’t about to allow her to do the same to me. So when I reach the counter, she didn’t speak, so I did. I read her name tag and notice she had a very pretty ring on, I said, “Hi Lisa, beautiful ring you’re wearing.” She looked up at me for the first time after ringing up five or six items and noticed me smiling at her. For a short second, she smiled and put her head back down replying, “hello, and thank you.” About half way through my pail of goodies, I made another honest comment followed by a question, “wow, your pretty fast at this, I’m glad I choose your lane. Is you’re day just beginning or ending?” Lisa looked up and smile saying, “It’s just starting….” After a $150 later, I had Lisa talking about her mother who gave her the ring and we laughed about my daughter in the basket. As I said thank you for the great service, and push the basket away, I heard Lisa greet the next customer with a smile. I had changed her environment.

I have dominion over everything on earth. God’s word in Genesis 1:26 says


… Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth

Understanding the truth that is written in Genesis 1:26, I can't turn around and be submissive to some demonic spirit, I think not, I have every right to not agree with someone’s thoughts or values, but instead of arguing and creating an unpleasant environment for everyone, I've learned to control my thoughts, and not letting the environment control me. I could have allowed Lisa’s nasty attitude to feed right into me; instead I feed my positive attitude into her. Yes, every situation varies and some are more complicated than others, but the principle remains the same. You have the ability to control your environment by how you response to what's presented in you.

God doesn’t control us, He allows us to create our destiny by the choices we make. The great thing about God is that He teaches us, through His word. He shows us the outcomes of our choices, rather we choose life or death. You’re in a powerful place when you learn to control your environment and not let it control you. What’s controlling you? Is it the truth or a lie? If you don’t know the truth; you can’t be ruled by it. Control isn’t a bad thing; it’s who’s doing the controlling that you have to be concerned about.

1 comment:

  1. We are blessed woth a free will... It's up to us how we use it. Man has always had a problem balancing power and humitlity. Keep belssing us!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete